AMGA Guide Programs
At Suntoucher Mountains Guides we are long time members and supporters of the American Mountain Guide Association and their course and certification programs. We are proud to offer AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Course and Certification Exam programs through our guide service and climbing school. Generally our programs are held in central New Mexico close to Albuquerque, although we can teach programs in other locations by arrangement.
AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Course and Certification Assessment
The American Mountain Guides (AMGA) Single Pitch Instructor Course is the first in the sequence of climbing instructor and guide training programs. This is a great way to transition from a capable recreational climber to a capable and effective climbing instructor. The SPI course is intended for recreational climbers who are already proficient in top-rope, lead and traditional climbing. Those seeking certification may go on to take a two day field examination following the course or at any time within three years after successfully completing the course. Those who wish to teach climbing in the outdoors tend to have a much higher success rate in obtaining employment as climbing instructors with this training and certification.
These programs are taught by John Kear, IFMGA (International Federation of Mountain Guides Association) certified guide.
- The cost for a SPI course is $500
- The cost of the AMGA SPI assessment is: $350
*Costs does not include AMGA membership
- You are at least 18 years old
- You have a current AMGA membership
- You have a genuine interest in rock climbing and instructing novices on single pitch crags
- You have at least 12 months of prior climbing experience
- You are an active climber with traditional lead climbing experience.
- You are able to comfortably set-up climbs, to belay, to rappel without guidance and can demonstrate familiarity with anchoring principals, natural anchors and artificial anchors (wires, hexes, passive and active cams).
These skills may be assessed at the start of your course.
Looking to become a guide but don’t have the experience? Whether you are just starting out or looking for advanced mentorship for your higher level AMGA guide programs, we can help! Prices vary depending on number of sessions and level of instructor necessary.